In-Person Immersion Experiences
Develop Your Skills with Peers and Faculty in Chicago
In addition to collaborating with your classmates and professors during face-to-face online classes, you will strengthen those relationships and refine your practice during two Chicago-based immersion experiences.
Group Dynamics Immersion
The Group Dynamics Immersion is the experiential component of the Group & Organizational Dynamics course. During a long weekend, you will spend time both leading groups and participating in groups led by others while applying the concepts you have learned in the classroom.
Facilitated by Counseling@Northwestern faculty and selected supervisors, this immersion helps you:
- define your leadership style;
- examine any biases you may have in group settings; and
- understand the roles you take on in groups.
After the immersion, you will spend the remainder of the Group & Organizational Dynamics course integrating your theoretical and experiential knowledge.
Capstone Immersion Experience
The Capstone Immersion Experience is part of the Advanced Topics in Clinical Mental Health Counseling course and takes the place of comprehensive exams. At the end of your Internship year just prior to graduation, you will visit Chicago for a three-day immersion where you will:
- attend the Counseling@Northwestern Capstone Research Symposium and present the competencies you have developed during the program;
- gain valuable practice creating and submitting a proposal for a conference attended by counseling professionals; and
- participate in Counseling@Northwestern’s traditional Purple Shirt Ceremony, and celebrate your accomplishments with peers, faculty, advisers, and others.
You will arrive at the Capstone Immersion Experience as a student and leave as a professional endorsed by the faculty to fully participate and contribute to the counseling profession.