Clinical Mental Health Counseling Versus Social Work
Mental Health Counselor Education Requirements
- a CACREP-accredited master’s in counseling from The Family Institute at Northwestern University,
- an optional emphasis in Child and Adolescent counseling and,
- a Bridge to Counseling Program for students new to the field.
Social Work Education Requirements
- is the only accreditation organization for MSW programs in the United States,
- ensures that a program provides the education and training needed to practice in the social work field and,
- mandates that a master’s program includes at least 900 hours of clinical field experience.
The Role of a Clinical Mental Health Counselor
- listening to and examining clients’ emotions and behavior,
- giving clients the tools to make goals and work toward positive personal change and,
- referring clients to other specialists, psychologists, and services.
- community health centers
- inpatient and outpatient clinics
- veterans’ hospitals
- substance abuse clinics
- university student services or career centers
- research institutions
- private practice
The Role of a Social Worker
- addressing legal issues affecting clients,
- connecting clients to community services,
- conducting research in the social work field and,
- developing policy and advocating for societal systemic change.