How Counseling Can Help After a Concussion
What Is a Concussion?
What Are the Signs and Symptoms of a Concussion?
- Can’t remember what happened before or after the blow
- Seems disoriented or confused
- Forgets where they are and what they are doing
- Becomes slow to answer questions
- Loses consciousness
What Are the Psychological and Emotional Effects of a Concussion?
- Mood swings
- Emotional outbursts (crying, laughing)
How Can Counselors Help After a Concussion?
Developing a treatment plan.
Sorting through feelings.
Learning how to ask for support.
- “I need you to help me navigate the grocery store.”
- “After this meeting, I need to take a cognitive break.”
- “Is there someone who can read my emails to me and dictate my responses?”