Self-Care Strategies for Managing Secondary Traumatic Stress
What Is Secondary Traumatic Stress?
What Are Ways of Identifying Secondary Traumatic Stress?
How to Manage Secondary Traumatic Stress
Resources for Coping With Secondary Traumatic Stress
Organizations and Websites
- The American Institute of Stress: self-assessment, webinars, podcast series, and more from this nonprofit organization.
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network: STS resources for helpers from an organization that serves traumatized children, their families, and communities.
- Professional Quality of Life (ProQOL): health measure assessment, manuals, and handouts aimed at healthcare workers from the site managed by the Center for Victims of Torture.
- Secondary Traumatic Stress Innovations and Solutions Center, Center on Trauma and Children: screeners, podcasts, and other material for the workforce helping children and families address child abuse and trauma.
- Secondary Traumatic Stress (STS) Consortium: hub of information gathered by and for researchers, trainers, practitioners, and advocates with a goal to advance the field of secondary traumatic stress toward health.
Toolkits, Factsheets, and Guides
- What Is STS?, STS Consortium: Venn diagram tool to help identify personal strengths and stressors.
- Secondary Traumatic Stress, The Administration for Children and Families: information and intervention strategies from a division of the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Vicarious Trauma Fact Sheet No. 9, American Counseling Association (PDF, 102 KB): information from the professional organization for counselors.
- Vicarious Trauma Toolkit, International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies: tools to help raise awareness about the effects of vicarious trauma after a critical incident and provide trauma-informed support to help responders as they tend to others’ needs.
- What Is Vicarious Trauma?, The Vicarious Trauma Toolkit, Office for Victims of Crime: indicators, advice, and guidance for law enforcement and first responders.