How to Support Athletes Who Transition Out of Sports
Why Do Athletes Transition Out of Sports?
Self-Reflective Questions to Prevent a Foreclosed Identity:
- What is it that I love about sports? Is it just this sport, or other sports, too?
- In addition to sports, what else do I like to spend time doing?
- What else am I looking forward to in the near future?
- Where do I find validation and affirmation (externally and internally)?
- What skills have I learned from my sport, and how can I use them off the field?
How Counselors Can Help Athletes Transitioning Out of Sports
How Coaches, Family, and Teammates Can Help
Additional Resources for Athletes Transitioning Out of Sports:
- Mental Health, NCAA Sport Science Institute
- The COVID-19 Pandemic: Tips for Athletes, Coaches, Parents, and the Sport Community, Association for Applied Sports Psychology
- Resources for Athletes Sidelined by Injury or Health Condition, Sidelined USA
- Sidelined Stories: Podcast for Medically Sidelined Athletes, Sidelined USA
- Child Considering Quitting During the Pandemic? Things to Consider, Positive Coach
- What to Do When Your Child Wants to Quit Sports, Cleveland Clinic