How to Become a Mental Health Counselor: Education and Licensure Requirements
- Complete a bachelor’s degree program.
- Earn a master’s degree in mental health counseling or a related field.
- Pass the required exams for counseling licensure.
- Apply for a temporary license.
- Complete postgraduate clinical hour requirements.
- Apply for your independent practice license.
- Consider earning additional mental health certifications.
- Meet any continuing education requirements to maintain licensure.